I haven’t been really happy with anything I’ve written lately. I don’t know if it’s the content that’s lacking or if I’m just in a funk. If it’s a funk, no problem, those pass. I just need to write my way out of it. But if I’m just…amusing myself instead of seriously writing… That’s more worrisome.
So here’s what I want to do more of, not just this year but going forward, always.
1. I need to edit my work. I hate editing. Love writing. But editing is important. Sometimes lightning will strike and I’ll have a brilliant idea of how to fix something but too often it’s just a slog. Not fun. Well, this is writing. Writing is hard work. Writing is not always fun. But if I’m serious about it, I need to be serious about it. So. I’ll be re-reading my favorite editing books (“Self-editing for Fiction Writers” to start with), finishing up my Smooth Running edits and editing my short stories more.
2. I need to submit my work. I have written two novels that no one* has seen. That’s not good or useful. But first, I need to edit. So, write, edit, submit. I can’t promise to write one short story and submit one each week but I’m going to try to pump out more content and send it out.
3. I need to write ‘better’. I’m still trying to get a handle on what ‘better’ means but I do want to stretch myself and not just write slutty sci-fi for my own amusement.
4. I need to spend more time with my dog. This isn’t really a writing goal but having a Rottie pup has been a time sink and I need to not think of him that way. He’s part of the family and he’s a dog. Cats you can ignore (no wonder most writers are ‘cat people’) while you write for hours. Dogs, not so much. Maybe I can write and have the dog around.
5. I need to blog more. Basically, since going full time at Amazon, I’ve let this blog languish. I do have a few readers and I appreciate you and your comments but I also need to blog about my writing to keep myself accountable. That’s more important to me than just using this as a ‘platform’ (word I’m starting to loathe)
So that’s the plan. I’ll keep going, keep writing, keep trying. You all do the same.
*Well, almost no one. A few Wordslingers have seen some chapters